Global needs. Simple solutions.

Sep 26 2016

9675018730_f3ab9ab065.jpgImage by vancouverfilmschool

Economic globalisation represents the concept of countries transacting commodities, services, know-how and money in an international context with the intention to stimulate and develop the world’s economy. This concept comes with a lot of benefits, but also some downsides. Companies often report a lack of communication and collaboration due to the geographical distances between the offices. Moreover, the large amounts of unstructured data, gathered after years of activity, are preventing multinational companies to perform efficiently and to be cost-effective.

Rapid growth of unstructured data

According to 40% of the respondents of a ESG survey on the cost of unstructured data, the most persistent challenge over the years is the rapid growth and the way unstructured data is managed. Moreover, the same study shows that only 36% of the average IT budget is spent on investments which are able to produce ROI, while the rest of 64% is spent on managing the unstructured data.

The reasons are diverse and could be influenced, as an example, by the lack of knowledge of how many copies are archived, what documents are relevant and there is always the risk of new employees to create or duplicate documents. Based on these facts we can understand of what importance it is to have everything structured in a collaborative platform, where any employee, no matter the technical skills is able to create, modify or share documents.

The client

This was the case of one of our clients. EMC is a global leading company with activities in the information systems and storage on the international markets. After continuously collecting data, EMC has faced a challenge in structuring and managing it in an efficient way. The consequence of leaving it unstructured is linked to poor efficiency and higher administrative costs. They had to find a way to manage large amounts of information mainly consisting in business proposals in Word format.

Our solutions

After research, they have chosen XWiki as the most suitable company to address their needs. Constantly communicating, we have understood the needs and started developing a structured knowledge base able to support EMC in their efforts of storing the internal competitive intelligence data. Moreover, in order to easily access information, we have implemented special filters for the ground teams to easily contribute with new articles and relevant information about their competitors. Furthermore, the Sales and Marketing teams have had their own special filter which was able to structure data based on the market and the product lines.

Once arrived in the implementation stage, we have offered our support in importing 30.000 Office documents in the newly created database. As the solution has been considered a valuable asset for the company, currently more than 5000 people within EMC are using it. If you want to know more about the EMC solution, please follow this link.

George Nikolic
Marketing Specialist @ XWiki